Friday, August 26, 2016





Allow me to introduce you to Gracie, who's an important part of this poem and my daily life, though I only get to borrow her from Andy Gray and Erica Bodwell who are her real people. The poem is a self-portrait based on a piece by Adam Zagjewski. The full Monty will show up here around noon. Here's the opening. 

Self-Portrait with Dog in Winter

At 12, I said I was a child
of the summer and almost drowned
trying to swim the Miramichi River,
Now I have lived so long
I can no longer
rise from the floor without thought.
But even so, the beautiful, brown dog comes
when I call her, and lays her long head
on my knee.  I admit, silent snowfall
harasses my mood, also
calorie counts, also the memory
of my father’s death though it was
no sadder than most. No lonelier.
But lately as I fall asleep,
pictures slide in:
splintering gray porch boards,
Rose of Sharon
in an old garden. A child in a sundress
jumping rope on white sidewalks.
Is this my own life unreeling
on the screen of my almost sleep?
Have I forgotten all this beauty?

I liked Zagjewski's poem, it's random, un-curated way of trying to express identity. So I thought I'd write a self-portrait of my own and throw into it--without too much worrying about how one thing might be connected to the next--everything that's important to me at this stage of my life. I borrowed from Zagjewski the phrase “children of…” though he said, children of the sky, and the inclusion of walking through an art gallery and how that made him feel. But I found myself adding a lot of details to suggest what I experience here and now, both looking back a bit, and also living a (mostly) peaceful and happy old age. It proved to be an interesting challenge and I'm pleased with the poem. Besides, it gave me an excuse to show you a picture of Gracie. 

Thanks again for everything, folks. It's been quite a journey and I've loved most of it. I admit I am now thinking a lot about all the lovely time I plan to waste starting Aug. 31. And ice cream. I'm also thinking a lot about ice cream.

1 comment: