Tuesday, August 23, 2016





I decided to try a dictionary definition form on the word "someday." This idea actually came from Erica Bodwell who's just had her definition poem "Summer" accepted at Persephone's Daughters. My attempt is titled (unsurprisingly) "Someday." Find the whole thing here around noon. Here's a little bit for now.

Someday. adv. 1. An unspecified time, esp. that future when all the dreary details of this day have vanished—no quarrels over his drinking, no credit card blues, no squeal in the rear axle.  As in: At last, her father will hold her close and weep for his blindness. As in: out in the driveway, a shiny new car. On the soundtrack: Beethoven’s Fifth. 2. Occasionally referring to a day of reckoning. As in: Someday he’ll get what’s coming to him: black eye, eviction, a slow leak in a heart valve. 

These poems pretty much have to be prose poems which I am not so prone to write. I like the extra control of sound and meaning I get with line breaks. And this one's a bit dense. On the other hand, I like the energy that comes from letting this rigid format push back against a tragic view of human life. As in: we're always waiting for someday. It seldom arrives. By the way, I can take this bleak view of things and still have a wonderful day and notice the blue, blue sky and the dry air. Maybe even notice it a little more carefully. 


Well, we're down to a week. Which means I've written three whole weeks’ worth. Twenty-three poems to be exact. Couldn't have done it without every one of you. Thanks from the bottom of my heart. 


No comments:

Post a Comment